Sunday 18 January 2015

Weight loss and colic!

Having a baby has it's pitfalls. It's the most amazing and rewarding thing you will ever do, but it doesn't come without it's sacrifices! The biggest one I've found personally is the big jelly belly you get after your nice round bump has disappeared. Don't get me wrong, it acts as a great little cushion for your new baby, but what if you don't want to be a human beanbag for the rest of your life?
I don't know if it's the same for all women who've just had babies, or wether it's just for women who have had c- sections like me, but it seems to take ages to get your tummy to a state you're happy with! 
So anyway, I decided to go on a diet at the beginning of the year and try to increase the amount of exercise i do. I went for slim fast as this has helped me to shed unwanted extra pounds in the past and who doesn't like milkshake?! Exercise wise, I've enlisted the help of Charlotte Crosby's fitness DVD to see if that can somehow get rid of the paunch I'm left with. 
So far, it's all going really well and I feel like I've lost quite a bit, although it's difficult to tell an exact amount as I don't weigh myself. The diet has been easy to follow, even when Dexter has been a little challenging, which brings me onto the dreaded colic!
A few days ago, if you were to ask me how Dexter was, I would tell you we never hear a peep out of him. And I would 100% be telling the truth. But since Dexter had his injections on Tuesday, he has been a completely different baby!
It all started on the Tuesday night. Dexter was so restless and just wouldn't calm down and sleep, no matter what we tried! Luckily, we'd followed the health visitors advice and bought a bottle of calpol incase he got any sort of post vaccination fever. Unfortunately, we discovered that our baby hates calpol! Then commenced the bizarre baby gurning, moaning and red faced screaming which i now can probably associate with colic. At the time though, I didn't spot the signs at all (it happens). Lee, however, did thankfully! After a few days of on and off (and totally out of character) winging from Dexter, Lee came home with some Dentinox colic drops to put in his feeds. It took a lot of perseverance ( Dexter spent the entirety of Saturday screaming and crying), but finally, today, he seems settled and has actually slept! I can't tell you the relief we feel now that his little personality has made an appearance again! It's truly heartbreaking to see your baby crying and screaming, and being unable to console them. You feel totally and utterly helpless. Then you feel yourself getting stressed out to the point that you just want to curl up and hide somewhere until your baby calms down. And suddenly, you find that you're giving yourself a mental talking to about how it's not all about you anymore. 
But do you know what's amazing? In amongst all of the worry, sleepless nights, bottle sterilising, being peed on, being pooped on and, let's not forget, being puked on, all it takes is a little toothless smile to make it all worthwhile! Because at least then you know you must be doing something right. 
Much love, Laura xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment