Friday 10 July 2015

Wedding with a baby

So Thursday 28th May 2015 brought the day of my cousin Rachaels' wedding to her partner, Tom. Prior to the day itself, i had already had a miniature meltdown about whether we needed to bring Dexters high chair or not and had duly discussed this on Facebook with my big sister, Rachaels' big sister and another one of my cousins, Jodi and Rachael herself. FYI, the conclusion was that they thought the venue would provide them...but we brought it with us anyway...just incase. 
We also brought pretty much everything but the kitchen sink. Having not attended a wedding with a baby before, i found myself packing a crazy amount of stuff to try and keep him entertained incase any teething related tantrums ensued. Lee and i also had the obligatory 'have we got everything/where the hell is that/i'm dead stressed/the baby is having a tantrum' pre wedding argument. Peace was restored when we finally got everything in the car though!
The venue itself was beautiful, but we knew that already as it's the venue we had chosen for our evening reception...whenever we actually save up enough to actually book it! We travelled up the long driveway and saw the picturesque house appear in the distance. We pulled up and waited for a short time until we saw my parents, sister, nieces and nephew pull up, followed by my Uncle Dave, Auntie Jackie and cousin Natalie. It's been a long time since our family last had a proper get together, so i had been really looking forward to the day. Not to mention seeing my cousin in her wedding dress!
My cousin Rachael was one of my closest friends growing up. She is only 18 months older than me and, even though she has always been little miss bossy (she will admit this herself), i love her to pieces! I have so many funny memories of childhood sleepovers, birthday parties and family barbecues with her and my other lovely cousins. My family is far from perfect, but these wonderful memories are perfect to me and can make me smile when i'm feeling particularly down in the dumps.
I will always remember her obsession with having a midnight feast every time we had a sleepover...and the fact that she decided chocolate ready brek in a glass would be a decent snack. That was until she knocked hers all over her brand new carpet then tried to cover it with a rug. It would have been a genius plan if my Uncle Ian hadn't decided to hoover her room the next morning. Awkward!
I also remember how she was completely fearless and absolutely nothing seemed to bother her. She had a flat roof just outside her bedroom window and thought absolutely nothing of leaping out of the window onto said roof...then lying down if anybody came out of the house so they couldn't see her!



Cue embarrassing photo!
Rachael and I at my sisters 21st birthday party (it was a 1970's theme).
We would have been 9 and 10 here.



There were also the times when Rachael was really caring, like the time i projectile vomited in the video shop. Yes, it was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. In my defence i was about 10 and had a tummy bug...but there was no way in hell Rach and I were calling time on our sleepover! Despite the fact the woman behind the counter went a bit green around he gills at the sight of my vom all over her videos, Rachael helped me to the loo behind the counter to clean me up. She was absolutely laughing her head off, but still helped me all the same!

It's so weird to think that we're all grown up now and both have our own children and separate lives, but i still think about these daft times we had together as kids. Seeing Rachael in her wedding dress made me feel so proud to be her cousin and so pleased that she was happy! I have to admit, it was a tad embarrassing when we were asked to speak now if there was any lawful reason why they couldn't be married and Dexter decided that was the right time to fart. Luckily, it wasn't one of his loudest ones so we just about got away with it i think!

After the ceremony, we all moved outside and had drinks on the patio while Rachael and Tom had photos taken. Luckily, the weather was beautiful so no umbrellas were needed! We were then ushered into the beautiful ballroom for the wedding breakfast. The food was absolutely amazing!
Dexter was feeling special as he had his own place card and high chair ready and waiting for him.
Lee and Dexter looking suave in their suits


Overall, the whole day was amazing from start to end. I always think it feels much more special being at the wedding of someone who you're close to or have a lot of history with as you're genuinely so happy for them. Dexter must've sensed the happiness as he was a little diamond all day, even smiling for everyone and falling asleep at 7pm during the disco! And yes, it was a pain in the ass lugging a gigantic baby bag around the place for ages, not to mention a baby who seemed to get heavier and heavier as the day progressed! I wouldn't have it any other way though :)

So here's to the happy couple, Rachael and Tom Bradbury. May they live a long and happy life together. And if you're reading this, thank you for inviting us to be a part of your special day. It was magical :)

The happy couple


Until next time,
Much love, Laura Xxx









No comments:

Post a Comment